THIS SUNDAY: Nov. 25, 2018, 4 p.m. Gathering and Worship at Rose City Park Presbyterian Church’s Chapel. 1907 NE 45th Avenue – Portland, OR.Questions? Contact Pastor Brett Webb-Mitchell (919) 444-9111; firstname.lastname@example.org
With Thanksgiving before us all, we are reminded of pilgrims on a pilgrimage in the 1600s. Funny thing about the name of our Fellowship: I remember being asked (tongue in cheek) if we were but a group of people who liked to re-enact the early settlers called “Pilgrims.” The name “Pilgrim” came from one of the settlers, William Bradford, in which the settlers were first called “Old Comers” but Bradford called the name to “Saints” and “Pilgrims.”
As a Community of Pilgrims, let us remember those who are still seeking a homeland and home among the 68.5 million refugees who are roaming around the earth on our Thanksgiving. The caravan crisis along our southern border continues on Thanksgiving Day and beyond, as does the Syrian crisis, along with the civil war in Yemen, and other hot spots around the world. As we give thanks to God for the love of family and friends alike, let us also be mindful of those who are without such assurance of love and life, and dedicate ourselves to making a difference in their lives in the coming year. In the name of Jesus, the Pilgrim God we pray. Amen.
Sunday, Nov. 25, 2018, the Reign of Christ Sunday! Gathering and Worship at Rose City Park Presbyterian Church’s Chapel;
Sunday, Dec. 2, 2018, First Sunday of Advent! Gathering and Worship at Rose City Park Presbyterian Church’s Chapel.
Sunday, Dec. 9, 2018, Gathering and Worship at Rose City Park
Sunday, Dec. 16, 2018, Gathering and Worship at Rose City Park
Sunday, Dec. 23, 2018, Our Christmas Eve Service, Gathering and Worship at Rose City Park
*Regarding the t-shirts: Please pick up your t-shirt this Sunday, and bring cash or a check made out to Community of Pilgrims, in the amount of $8 for adult M, L, and XL, and youth; and $12 for adult 2XL. Thank you!
* We also have plenty of beautiful leather bracelets for each member of the community! Pick one up this Sunday!
* In the coming months, Pastor Chris and I will be quoting from and referencing sections from the book, Wisdom Distilled from the Daily by Joan Chittister, a Benedictine monk, who, in this book, focuses on the nature of living life in an intentional Christian community, which is our aim as Community of Pilgrims. We can either order books for those interested and sending in a request for so-many copies, or feel free to order it or buy it from your favorite book distributor. Wisdom Distilled from the Daily, Joan Chittister, San Francisco: Harper One.
Prayer Concerns and Celebrations
· Prayers of thanksgiving for Bill Kinsey’s good report on his heart;
· Prayers for Chuck White’s health;
· Prayers for those who are roaming the world as refugees this day;
· Prayers for traveling mercies who are on the road;
· Prayers for those without family and friends this Thanksgiving;
Letting Go, by Meister Eckhart
I don’t like the dark.
I’d rather be clothed
Yet You tell me
I must let go of all that
My joys and fears
My worries and even
And give myself
To the dark emptiness
Where You wait
To be born in me.
Pastors Brett & Chris